Newcomb Historical Museum
tap above to view larger image(s)
The Newcomb Historical Museum proudly announces its 2024 exhibit, “BOATS AND BUILDERS” that opens at Seeley Exhibit Hall, at the corner of Adams Lane, on Friday, May 24th, and will run for several summer and fall months, closing on Saturday, October 12th.
The historical “BOATS” in the museum’s new exhibit offer different perspectives on the Adirondack guideboat, an invention with many forms but overall what has been called the “uniquely American boat” known for its beauty, speed, toughness, and versatility. The guideboat began as a wilderness boat made by and for Adirondack hunters and guides, but today they are more often seen on collector’s wish lists. The beautiful guideboats on exhibit at Seeley Hall share one important distinction: they all were Newcomb-made, and one of them has never left Newcomb township, never been used but in Newcomb waters.
It is no surprise that the “BUILDERS”–Caleb Judson Chase, William Alden, and Edmund Chase--also share some important connections. Most importantly, all three were related by ties of kinship as well as artisanship. Caleb Judson Chase, the father (1830-1911), may have started building boats on his property near Rich Lake as early as 1851. William Alden (1848-1885) started the craft after returning from fighting in the Civil War and marrying Mary Jane Chase, Caleb’s daughter. Edmund Judson Chase (1863-1928), the fifth child of Caleb and Thankful Preston Chase, was a guide, a taxidermist, and during the winter he and Caleb built many guideboats.
There is much to see and learn about this Adirondack vessel, and Seeley Hall is just the right environment for such an exhibit. Hope you can visit.
tap below for more information